HISTORY OF BOMBAY CHAPTER No. 18
The oldest Chapter in the District is Bombay Chapter, No. 18. Despite it’s low number it is, in fact, a relatively new Chapter in Berkshire having had to pull up its Indian roots and transfer back to the UK. The following has been extracted from the Chapter’s ‘history’ written in 1968 by Ill∴Bro M.F.S.C Harvey, 31°.
The Inaugural Meeting of the Bombay Chapter, No. 18, of Sovereign Princes Rose Croix, was held at Cumballa Hill on Friday, 18 December 1868. Present were Ill∴Bro James Gibb, 32°, as Most Wise Sovereign, supported by E&P Bro Andrew Hay, 18°, and E&P Bro Percy Leith, 18°.
The Warrant from the Supreme Council of the A.& A.R. dated 14 October 1868 and addressed to Ill∴Bro Gibb as the first M.W.S. was read. The Chapter was opened.
Bro Edward Tyrell Leith, a Master Mason of Lodge St. George was proposed by the M.W.S. and seconded by E&P Bro Hay.
The ballot proved clear and Bro Leith was duly Perfected and immediately appointed Prelate, whilst E&P Bros Hay and Leith were appointed as Generals. Percy Leith also agreed to carry out the duties of Recorder. The names of four other Brethren were proposed and seconded for later Perfection.
Such was the origin of the Bombay Chapter, No. 18, which celebrated its Centenary in 1968. Of the four Brethren named, all were subsequently appointed to the 33° within the next here years and all were to become Inspectors General of India.